Engaging students in reading activities isn't always easy. Luckily this Open the Book For Reading Fun activity will give you six ready-to-use activities that take MINIMAL effort on your part. And sometimes that is exactly what you need.
READY TO USE ACTIVITIES
One of the benefits of Open the Book is how many ways it can be used AND it can be used throughout the year with different books. You can also choose to complete each of the six activities whole class or in small groups, in partnerships, or independently. These activities with increase student engagement while also becoming some of your students' favorite ways to review a book.
Each of the activities can be displayed on the board or shared with students online. This is a great way to give students some choice!
Several of the activities require a printable. I think it would be super easy to print more than needed and keep them somewhere in the classroom. This would save you so prep time!
This way you aren't worried about making copies every time you want to use Open the Book. You could even keep them in a spot for students to independently access them. This puts them in charge of their learning!
The six engaging reading activities are…
- Character Dialogue gives students a chance to focus on characters from a book and create a dialogue between them in a relevant way.
- Comic Strip Activity allows students to use their artistic skills to show the main events of their book.
- Roll and Retell Questions promotes comprehension for fiction and nonfiction texts in a fun way.
- Book Cover Makeover requires students to create a new cover as well as write. Adding writing to something most students enjoy can produce greater quality results.
- Bookgram Activity is a creative way for students to express their understanding of the book with a social media twist.
- Cootie Catcher Reflection takes it back old school! Students use a cootie catcher to revisit those fiction and nonfiction reading skills in a different format that will capture their attention.
These fun reading activities are a win-win! They give students opportunities to engage with a text in a meaningful way without adding any more work to your plate
You can provide students with opportunities to practice critical thinking, new vocabulary, reading comprehension strategies, and so much more. These activities help refresh your reading instruction while also giving students a reading experience that they will love.
CHECK OUT THE TCM CLUB MEMBERSHIP
If this resource is something you enjoyed, there's more where that came from!
The TCM Club is a one-of-a-kind community of teachers just like YOU who are ready to use engaging teaching resources to make their lives easier, create their OWN resources with unique templates, and get motivation when they need it the most!
Pin this image to read the blog post later!